Sunday 17 June 2012

First impressions count

Yesterday was one of the most nerve-racking days I've had in a while, I went to a party and met the majority of Alex's college friends for the first time. 
A couple of weeks after getting together last summer, I went to town and met three of his friends: Danny, Katie and Ellie, they were all really nice but I'd not seen anything of any of his friends since then, and we've been together for almost ten months now.


Katie was throwing a belated (by a month) birthday party at her house and I was invited to join them - them being a group of about 12 people who were all older than me, one by as much as 5 years. Needless to say I was feeling anxious about them all finding me to be immature and dull, as I'm often extremely quiet around new people, and last night was no exception. 
As their college course was coming to an end, they all got a bit emotional later on in the night, celebrating each other with so many rounds of applause that my hands began to ache. I even got my own round of applause 'for being the quietest one there'; cue me covering my face with my fist and Alex leaning over to hug me. 
We ordered take-out pizza (a 16" pizza for two people, no less) that I couldn't manage my half of, but it beat my local takeaway by a mile - it didn't quite scratch up to Domino's, though. 
Katie kept asking me if I was alright and if I wanted a drink for the first two-thirds of the evening before she gave up and let me just sit there and laugh along with the conversation - Alex has some very funny friends.
When Alex's mum came to pick us up at 11 (as Alex had work this morning - let's hope he doesn't have a hangover!) I got a handshake from Tom and a hug from Will, Danny and Katie - so I think I did alright.


The lesson? When you're meeting new people, they don't care if you're a little quiet and don't drink as much as everyone else, just be yourself and they'll realise, as will you, that sometimes that isn't such a bad person to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment